- About Breast Cancer
- Community Impact
- Get Involved
Susan G. Komen Memorial
About the Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever. In 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen® for the Cure and launched the global breast cancer movement. Today, Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures.
The Memorial Affiliate Komen in Peoria, Illinois is responsible for achieving Komen’s mission in 36 counties across Central Illinois through signature events such as Susan G. Komen® MORE THAN PINK Walk. Recent growth in Komen Memorial’s reach brings excitement and new challenges to the work environment. Komen Memorial staff create an environment that is dedicated and results-oriented while also caring and compassionate. We are currently seeking a passionate and energetic team member to fill the part-time (flexible 25-30 hours/week) position of Development Director.
Position Reports To
The Development Director is responsible for organizing, planning and leading corporate fundraising activities in support of Affiliate signature events. The position is responsible for diversifying and expanding current fundraising strategies with emphasis on corporate annual giving, annual giving, major gifts, national programs and special events, including the MORE THAN PINK Walk Series (held in Peoria, Springfield and Bloomington/Normal), and the 35th Anniversary Gala (2020).
This position requires an ability to build strong relationships with individual and corporate donors, Board of Directors, volunteers, sponsors and colleagues. The ideal candidate is committed to the Komen mission and will be charged with identifying creative donor development programs which will enable the Affiliate to move beyond events-based fundraising toward a focus on major gift cultivation and solicitation.
- Plan, design, implement, and analyze all fundraising activities of the Affiliate.
- Working with the Executive Director, Mission Director, key staff, the Fund Development Committee and Board members, to implement long range fundraising plan.
- Work with Walk Manager to ensure corporate sponsorship goals are met, including but not limited to prospect identification, cultivation and solicitation of new corporate sponsorships, re-solicitation and maintenance and upgrading of current corporate sponsors.
- Oversee the identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgment and stewardship of donors at all levels.
- Prepare for and solicit gifts at all levels personally and in conjunction with staff and key volunteers.
- Coordinate gift solicitations by Executive Director, Board members and key stakeholders and train as appropriate.
- Initiate and serve as the staff liaison to the Fund Development Committee.
- Work closely with development staff at Komen Headquarters to ensure coordination on fundraising activities and compliance with all HQ policies/guidelines.
- Support Executive Director and Board with other Affiliate projects and events as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Commensurate experience considered.
- Strong organizational skills to plan, implement, and administer fund raising events and programs.
- Three to five years of professional development experience, a proven track record in corporate solicitation, major gift fundraising, and supervision and leadership of a non-profit development team.
Candidate will also possess
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work well with a diverse populations
- Dedication to inclusion
- A high degree of integrity that garners the trust and respect of others
- A record of planning and supporting growth
- A professional nature able to meet deadlines as well as quickly establishing priorities
- Organizational skills with thoroughness, timeliness, and detail when working under pressure
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency in using constituent databases
- Prior experience working with or reporting to a Board of Directors
Travel, evening and weekend work required.
Our Promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.
Send resume and cover letter via email to Linda Maricle, Executive Director at email@example.com; mail or deliver in person to the Komen Memorial Office in the Metro Center; 4700 N. University St., Suite 91; Peoria, IL 61614.
Resumes will be accepted until November 30, 2019 or until the position is filled